Saturday, May 26, 2018

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT - SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

Days 19-20 – Hours 6

I finally have all the wires I can remove done. This was tedious and my hands are all little red punctures. Not the part of a “stitch and glue” project that you really enjoy doing. I did have some seams at the center edge of the hull that just didn’t want to seal. I finally added more silica to the epoxy and filled the worst gap with some slim wood shaving and it did stop leaking. Now I will let it cure and start the sanding before adding the out Wales.

I also just realized that my temporary spacer across the hull is now permanently epoxied in place from the internal leakage. It should be fun removing. I should have placed some waxed paper over the ends before installing. Thinking about it, the spacer is also probably why I had trouble sealing the seams at the center of the hull. It puts a lot of extra pressure there. At least it won't slip out of place by accident.

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT - SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

Day 21 – 1.5 Hours

I moved the hull back into the other room and started the sanding. Didn’t go too bad, but I have to clean the epoxy fills between the planks. That is not very easy to get real smooth during the pours. One side is done and one to go with the rough sanding. I am still finding wires!

SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

Day 22 – 3.5 Hours

More sanding and most of the hull exterior is done. Now I am getting into the fillets between the planks. It is tough to get them level the full length of the plank. It will probably take some more thickened epoxy to do the job. At this point I am not concerned with how many hours it takes to complete the project, I want it to look right. Then I can start on the inside.

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT

Camillus Kayak Shop Demo Day 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment