Saturday, May 12, 2018

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT - SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

Days 8-9 – Hours 6

I have moved the project to the new room and you can see it’s much smaller. I have tightened my wires and CLC advises that the replacement parts are being shipped tomorrow. I have also started installing the bulkheads. The instructions advise that you will have to push the sides of the hull in to meet it and they were not kidding. It will take some clamps to encourage them into place. Now all I can do is wait for the replacements parts to show up so it looks like I am going to take a Holiday break. I will be back on the project after the holiday. Merry Christmas!

Report 4 – 23 Hours to date

SASSAFRAS 12 CANOEDays 10-12 – Hours 3

I have received my replacement parts from CLC. I was concerned about the shipment being damaged and was pleasantly surprised just how well they were packaged. Nice Job!

Now I removed the damaged panel and using it as a template, epoxied the panel and inwale together. The hull looks a little strange without the panel, but it will survive. I also used the old panel to allow me to predrill the holes necessary for the wires. My only concern here is do I have enough wire to mount the new panel to the hull.

I didn't get as much done the week as I had planned but I had to wait for the replacement parts to be delivered and we also got over two feet of snow so I have been shoveling.

SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECTSASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECTReport 5 – 40 Hours to date

I have reinstalled the new plank 5 onto the hull. Looks good. The hull looks fair and I spent a lot of time tightening the wires as equally as I could. I did run out of copper wire but had kept what I hadn’t used on the last project. I added some additional wires at the stems and behind the bulkheads. The ones on the stems are for security. A lot of pressure on a little bit of wood. The ones at the bulkheads did a pretty good job of pulling everything together. Tomorrow I hope to get started with the fillets in the stems and the bulkhead areas.

SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

No comments:

Post a Comment