Saturday, May 5, 2018

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT - SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

Days 4-5 – 5 Hours

I started to assemble the hull. Wiring the first two panels always seems to be the hardest. You are working upside down with the planks flopping all over. I used the method I used with my kayak and used two flower pots to raise the planks off the table and allow some movement. I then flipped it over and started the rest of the planks. This goes pretty fast and is quite rewarding as the hull finally starts to take some shape. I finally ran out of staples and patience and quit for the night. Three more planks to go and I can start to bring the stems together.

Sassafras 12 Canoe ProjectChesapeake Light Craft Day 6 – 2 Hours

I made up some more wires and got the second plank #4 installed. Now I have a problem. One of the mahogany inwales must have been a bit too dry and after I epoxied it to plank #5, snapped in two. I tried to epoxy it back together (it is glued to plank #5 and not about to be removed) and that failed a second time. I have epoxied it again and I have emailed CLC and will wait for their reply.

Chesapeake Light Craft Day 7 – 4 hours

CLC was very prompt getting back to me on the failure and the parts are in the mail. Nice. I had the day off so rather than wait for the new parts, I continued with the build. When the replacements get here I will replace the failed pieces, using them as a template for the glue up and necessary wire holes. I was able to repair the failed inwale enough to use but it is not flat and does really looks bad.

The hull came together nicely but I will suggest you wire the ends together after installing the 4th panels. The hull tends to curve inward to the point you have no access to install the wires on the 5th panels. Wiring the ends straightens everything out nicely. I also started wiring at the center of the 5th panels and working to the ends. Much easier!

Tomorrow I will try to install the bulkheads and tighten some wires, but that all for tonight.

Sassafras 12 Canoe ProjectSassafras 12 Canoe Project

"The most important things are length, width and weight," Kitt says. "You have to get the right boat for the right job. The main difference is distance. You have to determine how far you want to paddle. A longer boat goes farther with less effort".

No comments:

Post a Comment