Saturday, June 9, 2018

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT - SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

Day 27 – 2 Hours

I have cut the outwales to length and now must round them over. You see my completed jig. It allows me to mark the sides of the outwales so I can accurately plane off the same amount from either edge. After I install them on the hull, it should be a simple matter to sand them smooth.

SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECTDay 28 – 2 Hours

I got one of the outwales glued and mounted. That went well. The second, as I was clamping it to the hull split in two. This is the second piece of mahogany that has failed in this kit and I have to believe it was just too dry. I have contacted the manufacturer and am waiting for their reply. I think I will spend some more time working on the drips on the inside of the hull for now.

Post Note: CLC got back to me before the end of the day and replacement parts are coming.

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT Day 29 – 3 Hours

The first outwale look fine. As I am waiting for the replacement for the snapped one I have been sanding the interior of the hull. Lots of work but it looks good.

Day 30 – 6 Hours

Finished the sanding on the inside of the hull and smoothed out the fillets at the bulkheads. I then taped the edges and applied the fiberglass to this inside of the hull. Looks great. Removed the tape and the surplus glass and touched up the edges. Ready for the fill coats tomorrow.

SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

“The most important things are length, width and weight,” Kitt says. “You have to get the right boat for the right job. The main difference is distance. You have to determine how far you want to paddle. A longer boat goes farther with less effort”

Kitt suggests 12- to 14-foot boats for beginners. For the average woman: a 15- to 17-foot kayak that is about 22-23 inches wide is suggested. An average man would use a 17- to 18-foot boat 22-24 inches wide. But Kitt says an individual’s height and weight should also factor in choosing the correct boat.

“Make sure you sit in the boat before you buy one,” Kitt says. “That’s pretty important. You have to make sure you physically fit in it.”

Camillus Kayak Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment