Saturday, June 16, 2018

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT - SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

Day 31 – 2 Hours

The first fill coat is applied to the inside of the hull. The stains from the drips are gone! I do have some excess epoxy under some to the glass, but that has never been my strong point. I think it looks great. One more coat and I can start on the outside.

SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECTDay 32 – 2 Hours

It has been too darn cold to work in my small room so I moved back into the larger. Applied the second fill coat to the inside of the hull. The temporary brace is gone, the hull is solid. I also cut and drilled the thwart. I was afraid that the screws would split the wood without predrilling and I counter sunk them for a smooth finish. I will coat it with epoxy before I install it under the inwales. Hopefully the replacement outwale will show up soon and I can complete the hull. I am thinking I will drill the 1" holes in the bulkheads for the drain plugs tomorrow rather than later since I will have to seal the edges of the holes with epoxy. That should make sanding a bit easier in those areas.

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFTDay 33 – 1 Hour

Since I am waiting for parts, I decided to install the misc. components to check fit and see how they look. Thanks to the angle adaptor on my Dremel tool, the thwart was installed. I drilled the openings for the drain plugs and installed. Finally, I installed the seat back and set the seat in place. Looks good. Now to remove everything and epoxy the thwart and all the hole edges.

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT - SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECTDay 34 – ½ Hour

The replacement outwale arrived and I epoxied it together. Now I must let it cure. All for tonight.

Day 35 – 1.5 Hours

I have shaped, cut and mounted the last outwale and it didn't snap. My faith in wood has returned. Now I can begin on the outside of the hull.

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT - SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

"The most important things are length, width and weight," Kitt says. "You have to get the right boat for the right job. The main difference is distance. You have to determine how far you want to paddle. A longer boat goes farther with less effort".

No comments:

Post a Comment