Sunday, April 29, 2018

Chesapeake Light Craft - Sassafras 12 Canoe Project

Day 2 – 2 Hours


I finished gluing the remaining planks and outwales tonight. These scarfed joints are not as easy to connect. They seem to leave quite a gap or they overlap too much and aren't as flat as I would like. It would be nice to have the completed dimensions for each plank so you could position them more accurately. One of my bottom planks (plank 1) had quite a rough joint. I filled it with some additional epoxy to smooth out the transition. Since I plan to paint the outside of the hull and the seat will cover the inside seam, I don't think it will be a problem. Both # 1 planks are exactly the same length.

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT - SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

I spent the rest of the time tonight cutting wire and making the staples for the assembly. I had kept the gig I used on the last project (a 2x4 with a hole ½ inch from one edge) and it worked quite well.

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT - SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

Day 3 – 3 Hours


Started sanding the planks tonight. I was able to find an adaptor for my shop vac so I could attach it to my orbital sander. Saved a big mess. The rabbits were another situation. They were quite rough. I found a sanding sponge worked great and made short work of it. Sanding a taper at the end of the rabbits was another story. I had purchased the Riffler Rasp 8 piece set from CLC and they worked great. Last thing tonight was to glue one of the inwales to a # 5 plank. Didn’t have enough clamps for both.

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT – SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

"The most important things are length, width and weight," Kitt says. "You have to get the right boat for the right job. The main difference is distance. You have to determine how far you want to paddle. A longer boat goes farther with less effort".

Chesapeake Light Craft, Chesapeake Light Craft Wooden Boat Kits

Sassafras 12 Canoe

No comments:

Post a Comment