Saturday, April 21, 2018

CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT - SASSAFRAS 12 CANOE PROJECT

This will really be a challenge since the space I have available is limited and I will not be able to complete the project in the same room as I am getting started. My long room, necessary for joining the planks or "strakes" is carpeted and I will not be able to do any sanding there without greatly upsetting my domestic relations. I will therefore be starting the project in one area and completing it in another, uncarpeted (and smaller) area. This second area also has a “straight shot” out of my basement when the project is completed.

Day 1 – 4 Hours

I started by reading the instructions! The layout is a little complicated but with a little time, not difficult. Using the provided charts, you lay out the planks with the correct offset and glue them together. The biggest difference I noted from the last project's instructions is that they had you align one of the two plank sections to join and then, by covering them with plastic sheets, you build the second one on top of the first. This solves the problem of the dissimilar pieces as I had with the last project.

The epoxy with this kit is also quite different. In addition to wood flour they provided silica powder. If you have not used this before, experiment with your mix prior to making any large batches. A little silica goes a long way.

You will notice in the photos that I taped all my surfaces to minimize the staining from the epoxy. I haven’t done this before and I am really hopeful that it will reduce the sanding necessary later.

Again, my work surface limited my activities so I was only able to join the lowers three “strakes” and two of the four inwales or outwales. I will do the rest tomorrow if all goes well.

Well, all for tonight. Time - approximately 4 hours of prep and the initial gluing.

[caption id="attachment_2179" align="alignright" width="600"]CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT CHESAPEAKE LIGHT CRAFT[/caption]

"The most important things are length, width and weight," Kitt says. "You have to get the right boat for the right job. The main difference is distance. You have to determine how far you want to paddle. A longer boat goes farther with less effort" Read More Kayaking CNY

No comments:

Post a Comment