Saturday, October 20, 2018

Choosing the Proper Kayaking Accessories


By Ernest Tang




Kayaking is an unpredictable sport as you will not be able to foresee the outcome. It is only through preparation that you are able to prevail over whatever odds that might be thrown at you. Different kayaks are built for different purposes to cope with the diverse types of sea conditions. Some are just for sightseeing while other may be for dangerous white water kayaking. When you are dealing with the trying condition of the water, a kayak with a paddle is not enough. You will need other accessories to help you survive and the first equipment you will need is the ability to transport the kayak.

You need to outfit yourself with the right kayaking accessories and clothing is crucial. Clothing has to be waterproofed and disperse all perspiration. The best type is makes of synthetic material as they are resilient. Sandals have to be waterproofed as well as a pair of gloves that will protect your hands from freezing cold in addition to avert blisters.

Kayaking is a water contact sport and can keel over without warning. You can permit a little water displacement and above that, you will put your personal safety in danger. To overcome that you can use sprayskirt that cover you fully that help to avert paddle splash in addition to keeping off rapids. As in water sport, all kayaking accessories need to be waterproof with food cooler manufacture from vinyl to keep it afloat. Add a flotation device too in case of emergency.

There are other essential kayaking accessories depending on whether you are in calm water or out at sea. In the unpredictable sea, you need survival accessories and remember to prepare yourself for any outcome, even the worst. Whatever your discretion; do not over pack as you need to be agile to cope with the treacherous conditions.

A bilge pump, a map and a compass together with paddle floats will do nicely. Irrespective of your experience, you need to carry those indispensable accessories at all time. Other additional kayaking accessories that you can bring along are baseball hat, sun visor to cut off glare and maybe some snacks such as a cereal bar or chocolate to perk you up.

The kayaking expedition will be enjoyable and safe if you get yourself outfit with all the proper accessories. Kayaking is best done in group as more people can take care of each other and it is more exciting that way. Even without kayaking accessories, it can be done but not out at the treacherous sea. Whatever, it is best to equip yourself by choosing the proper kayaking accessories.




Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Ernest_Tang/37848


http://EzineArticles.com/?Choosing-the-Proper-Kayaking-Accessories&id=1844794



Kayak sales



ROGER’S NEW PROJECT IS THE BUILDING OF A PYGMY MURRELET KAYAK FROM A KIT TO PUT TOGETHER.



Day 58 - 1 more hour

Removed all the hardware, seat, lines, etc. and epoxy saturated the holes. I will let it cure completely and start the sanding. Now the nerves are setting in. Soon we will see the final project, however it comes out. I also purchased some lower sawhorses. My table is a little too high to make it easy to sand the surface.

Day 59 - 4.5 more hours

Started the sanding today. Started with 120 grit on my orbital sander with LOTS of disks. I had a lot of runs and drips to remove. Really came out better than I had hoped. Finished with 220 grit with the orbital. Found a few areas that needed a bit more epoxy so I will let it cure for another day or two and start with a sanding block. Hand sanding only from here on.

Started the sanding todayDay 60-63 - 6 more hours

I read the instructions on the spar varnish! The manual advises that once you are finished with the glassing to take your boat kayaking. That is a very pleasant way of saying that is your only choice. You cannot start applying the varnish until 7 days after the last coating of epoxy. Well, I wasn't planning on introducing it to the world until it was finished so I decided to do some more sanding and I am really glad I did.

I had used my orbital sander with 120 grit and then 220 grit and thought it was pretty good. I noticed that the surface still had a mottled surface even though it felt fine. I started sanding it by hand with the 220 grit paper and was really pleased with the improvement. On the photos you can see both sides of the hull. One half is hand sanded and the other is not. Vast improvement; however at the rate I am going it will take another 12 hours to get it ready for the varnish. With the amount of time I have invested already I am not going to cut corners now. So it looks like no varnish until I'm ready.

I read the instructions on the spar varnish!Day 64-66 - 8 more hours

I have continued to sand the hull with 220 grit paper by hand and it looks pretty good. My 7 days of waiting are almost up (before I can start the varnish) and then I realized I forgot the half rounds for the hatches. It looks like the hatches will have to wait a week more before they get completed. Also got the clips epoxied under the hatches for the retaining cords.

I did weigh the boat. Without the straps, cords, seat and hatch covers it weighed 38 lbs.

I came up with a fixture to help with the epoxy saturating of the ½ rounds. To allow me to do all sides at once, I made a "V" form from some aluminum foil. Worked neat. I have the hatch seals installed, glued the Velcro to the seat pad and epoxied the other half of the Velcro to the hull, held down by some bricks over Mylar.

I have to epoxy the ½ rounds in place; after they cure I can then remove the hatch straps and can start the varnish. The finish is in sight.

I have continued to sand the hull with 220 grit paper by hand and it looks pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment